Friday, April 23, 2010

BB + nose = ER

Yep, it's official, we have had our first ER visit. I knew it was inevitable w/ 3 boys. Was hoping they'd hold off a little bit - but seeing as we have a running tab w/ the hospital right now - it's as good as a time as any.




Evidently, Nate decided it was a great idea to stick an airsoft bb up his nose. As crazy as it sounds, I think he did it on Tuesday. I recall Tuesday afternoon thinking I saw a booger up his nose - so I asked him to blow into a kleenex - he did, some snot came out - so we went on w/ our business. Well...




Wednesday morning we woke up. The boys have been fighting some sinus issues due to all the pollen so this morning they were particularly snotty. So when I was changing diapers and getting clothes put on them for the day - I was also doing major nose clean-outs (oh, the joys of motherhood). Well, when trying to clear out Nate's nose, there was clearly something up there. So, I got a flashlight out and sure enough - there was a yellow airsoft bb in what I'm calling the "second chamber" of his nose. The part just beyond the initial cavity. So I got out some tweezers, but I couldn't get a hold of it and I was afraid of shoving it up further. I tried the nose-sucker thingy too. It wouldn't budge. After calling our local clinic, they suggested taking him to the ER. So, I called Andy at work and let him know the news. Then called Leann, Andy's cousin who usually keeps them while I'm working, to come up and watch Brady and Eli while I took Nate in.





It only took about an hour or so for us to get in to see a doctor. And it only took about 5 minutes for them to remove it. They got this tube catheter thing - usually used to remove blood clots from veins. They stuck the tube up his nose past the BB then inflated the balloon part and when removing the tube w/ the balloon on the end it swiped the BB out w/ it. It only took me and 2 nurses to hold Nate still for the "procedure".





The doctor advised us to keep objects out of his nose - and we were on our way. The nurses and doctor were great w/ him. It was actually quite hilarious. I'm sure I'll stop laughing w/ the bill comes in.







The Culprit:



The apparatus:

Nate in waiting room:














No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews